Dementia Care: Flash Cards with Short Term Memory loss works!!!
Post date: May 27, 2012 7:43:47 PM
Plenty of times I have given this in-service to CNA's working in nursing homes as part of their training in dealing with Dementia, but not all persons with demetia could benefit from this. Try it and let me know how it went. :)
Who may benefit:
- People with dementia.
- People with short term memory loss
- People with repeatitive question
Things you need:
- Black marker (only)
- Flash card
How to create:
- Write the words in print and not cursive.
- Make the writing big enough and make sure the person can read it.
- Do not abbreviate.
- Spell words out.
- Write the words in first person. e.g.
- Today is Sunday
- My caregiver's name is Sonia
- My daughter visits on Wednesdays
- I just had lunch
- I receive my meds at nine in the morning